Monday, May 4, 2009

Proverbs 31 - Week 2

As I beat myself up during the check-up on Saturday, I had to take a step back and stop trying to be so hard on myself. No, I didn't do EVERY step EVERY day, so I didn't want to mark it off the list. I made excuses that it was because my printer didn't work or I was having to make too many adjustments around everyone else's schedule. When it came down to it, I did do many of the activities for the week, most every day. I have always had a hard time with devotions. It was never part of my "normal routine." I didn't realize when I started this book, that I would have devotions on top of this book and the planner and the other activities of the book. I guess that's what has helped me these past couple of years, I was always in one Bible study or another and considered that my devotional. So, in-between studies, I always felt a little lost. I am making a renewed commitment now to a continual study of the Bible, no longer just reading the passages provided in the book I am reading, but actual Bible study and I am glad to share that with you all, as Proverbs 28:13 (NIV) states: "He who conceals his sins does not prosper, but whoever confesses and renounces them finds mercy."

Here are a few highlights from my reading of Becoming the Woman God Wants Me to Be this past week:
  1. "To be selective means to be discriminating, discerning, and choosy - to be careful about the choices you make. It's the opposite of the mindless living that characterizes so many of us today."
  2. "God's Word says that a person who meditates on Scripture - who remains faithful and sinks deep roots into the living water - that person will prosper in season. However, in season may not mean next week."
  3. "It's been aptly said, 'When we work, we work. But when we pray, God works.'"
  4. "The psalmist declared: 'I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety' (Ps 4:8). Notice the phrase 'I will.' It's a decision."
  5. "...I want to live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning, the devil yells, 'Oh, no, she's up!'"

So, to summarize, old dogs can learn new tricks, but it may be harder and you may not see the fruit from obedience right away, but keep at it!

Next week's focus is healthy eating, that should be thought provoking!

No comments:

Post a Comment